National Horticulturist Consultant
Organizational Setting: Under the overall supervision of the Budget Holder, the technical supervision of the Climate and Environment Division (CBC) and REU Plant Production and Protection Officer, and in close cooperation with the NPC the National Horticulturist will undertake the below duties
Reporting Lines REU Plant Production and Protection Officer, National Team Leader and Budget Holder Technical Focus: climate smart agricultural practices, crop production, capacity development
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide support to the International Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist to prepare of detail work plan and activities, and collect local technical information required on existing crop production and management information.
- Review of crop production status, priority needs for trainings and technical support required;
- Collaborate with MAFWE and relevant stakeholders, and farmers groups in coordinating, organization the establishment of pilot demonstration sites for farmers trainings;
- Supervise the implementation of the pilot demonstration sites, and provide onsite training and guidance to farmers, institutions and/or other stakeholders and beneficiaries on the demonstration sites;
- Assist International Consultant in the development of training materials and agriculture extension publications, and conduct trainings of farmers on improved best practices and technologies for priority crops;
- Provide technical agricultural guidance and consultancy to the farmers on production and other issues;
- Facilitate the collection of case studies and success stories on introducing best practices;
- Provide monthly progress reports on activities done and time spent;
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary for the successful execution of the project.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in horticulture or agriculture sciences;
- At least five years of relevant professional work experience in crop production and field research;
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnerships with farmers, manage and coordinate pilot demonstrations and trainings;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English is an asset;
- Knowledge of local language is essential.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Gender and minorities awareness
Additional Selection Criteria
- Capacity to manage tasks in a systematic and efficient manner with judgment, analysis, independence and initiative;
- Capacity to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to establish good working relationship and team spirit both inside the Organization and with external partners such as government officers and other relevant stakeholders Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing). Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send an e-mail with your CV and cover letter attached to FAO-MK@fao.org using the subject line: “Vacancy- National Horticulturist Consultant”. Deadline for submissions is 12:00 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: FAO-MK@fao.org
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions. Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT