Migration Data and Policy Analyst
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Asylum and Refugees Regional Initiative Regional Centre (MARRI RC) Director, overall supervision of the IPA II Regional Project Manager, and in coordination with the MARRI Integrated Expert and MARRI Strategic Development Advisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for the execution of tasks related to collection, analysis, and publication of migration-related data in the Western Balkans. The Migration Data and Policy Analyst will support MARRI’s activities related to migration data and analysis, and will work within IOM’s IPA II Regional Project “Regional Support to Protection-sensitive Migration Management in the Western Balkans and Turkey”, as part of IOM’s institutional support to MARRI.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Collect and coordinate the provision of migration and asylum related data through the Regional Platform for Migration Data Exchange in the Western Balkans (WB-MIDEX);
- Update and systemize regional data collection processes to ensure effective exchange of data through the WB-MIDEX Platform in line with the needs and priorities of MARRI Participants, MARRI RC, IOM and the EU;
- Develop specialized data collection and dissemination plans for MARRI RC, from data entry, review, storage, analysis and publication to ensure the transparency and utility of data collection processes within MARRI RC;
- Draft and propose guidelines on the gathering, sharing, protection and dissemination of information to ensure continuous harmonization of statistical methodologies and practices among all six MARRI Participants;
- Consult with the MARRI Integrated Expert and MARRI Strategic Development Advisor and act as data key analyst and focal point on migration statistics in MARRI RC
- Liaise with and advise the Statistical Focal Points of the Ministries of Interior / Security of the six MARRI Participants;
- Regularly analyze quality and quantity of data received through WB-MIDEX;
- Support MARRI RC in developing and publishing periodical and ad hoc regional migration trends analysis reports for the Western Balkans based on the data contained in WB-MIDEX and other relevant sources.
- Continuously monitor developments related to migration statistics within the European Union, and provide MARRI RC and all six MARRI Participants with regular and timely updates on such developments.
- Identify and develop concept notes for the upgrading and improvement of the WB-MIDEX Platform in line with EU standards, as needed.
- Provide technical guidance to MARRI related to migration-related statistics and ensure the technical functioning and sustainability of the WB-MIDEX Platform, in coordination with MARRI and the software maintenance service provider.
- Develop and regularly update a work plan and timetable for this project component for IOM and assure its smooth implementation;
- Organize and support the delivery of the project and MARRI events, such as regional meetings, workshops and trainings;
- Communicate and coordinate, in consultation with the MARRI RC Director and the Programme Manager, with other donors and relevant stakeholders;
- Provide inputs to project reports and prepare narrative progress reports;
- Perform other duties as may be required by IOM and the MARRI RC Director.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree social statistics, migration studies, political science, social studies, security studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 5 years of experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in collection and analysis of demographic statistics, preferably in the field of migration
- Experience in working with large data-sets and databases related to demographic statistics, preferably in the field of migration
- Experience in analysing data and producing reports for the purposes of public policy development
- Previous experience with and knowledge of the statistical frameworks and standards in the European Union
- Previous experience with and knowledge of the migration context in the Western Balkans
- Experience in working with governmental institutions and/or international organizations in the Western Balkans, preferably in the area of social and demographic statistics and/or migration and border management;
- Proven previous experience and high level of proficiency in advanced statistical analysis software’s (SPPS, MATLAB, XLSTAT, STATA, R, PowerBi and similar)
- Experience in drafting clearly and concisely, and solid communication and negotiation skills
- Experience as part of internationally funded technical assistance projects is an advantage
Required: Full professional proficiency in English and Macedonian language
Advantageous: Working knowledge of another language used in the Western Balkans countries
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Advanced scientific statistical analysis skills in social science, particularly demographics
- Commitment to details;
- Being initiative, in identifying gaps and proposing solutions;
- Excellent coordination skills regarding regional stakeholders;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage high workload and meet tight deadlines;
- Diligent, reliable and focused way of operating with close attention to detail;
- Independent and pro-active attitude, strong sense of ownership for assigned areas of responsibility;
- Proven work planning, ability to identifying and mitigating risks early;
- Collegial team spirit;
- Ability to work with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM and MARRI RC.
- Political & cultural sensitivity;
- Excellent communication skills, particularly for translating scientific statistical phenomena into common language;
- Writing and editing skills;
- MS Office and statistical analysis software skills.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
The Vacancy is open for internal and external candidates that have the legal right to reside and work in the Republic of North Macedonia.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form (Download it from here - Do not fill it online)) CV and Cover Letter in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position title and reference code in the subject.
Applications from qualified female candidates are highly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 26.01.2021 to 16.02.2021